Sunday, July 25, 2010

My recipe for chicken asks for buttermilk, can I use something else?

buttermilk is used as a coating in chicken. i never dip mine in milk before flouring. changes the flavor too much.





just dredge in flour and fry.My recipe for chicken asks for buttermilk, can I use something else?
For coating purposes - I use buttermilk, because it makes a really nice thick, crispy coating and it doesn't change the flavor of the chicken at all. If you are using it for a coating, then just use milk or a simple egg wash (beaten eggs with water).





I also marinate fried chicken pieces in buttermilk with some pepper. It makes the chicken really juicy. It also doesn't change the taste. If you don't have buttermilk, you can just omit the marinading part.My recipe for chicken asks for buttermilk, can I use something else?
You could, but there is no better fried chicken than the one marinaded in buttermilk over night. If you don't have any buttermilk To make pretend buttermilk, add 1-3/4 tablespoons of cream of tartar to a cup of milk, or add a tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to a cup of milk and let it stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
If you need buttermilk for a recipe but don't have any, you can use the following ratio:


1cup milk plus 1tbsp vinegar or lemon juice = 1 cup buttermilk
you can make a substitute from buttermilk with milk and vinegar (you DO NOT taste the vinegar at all) but im not sure how much your recipe calls for so youll nedd to look it up on the inter web :)

No comments:

Post a Comment