Saturday, August 21, 2010

Who has the best Vegetarian Fried ';chicken'; recipe?

I am really craving fried chicken, and being vegetarian, don't want real chicken, but something similar. I thought about using tofu, but then thought it might not have that meaty texture. My husband is allergic to the chicken seiten, so that is out. It is okay if the recipe has eggs in it, but no other animal products please :) If you have a great easy recipe, please add! Thanks :)Who has the best Vegetarian Fried ';chicken'; recipe?
Quorn chik'n products are really good. They taste so much like real chicken. I don't have a vegetarian fried chicken recipe, but you could probably coat them in panko or bread crumbs and bake it. Just look for a fried/baked chicken recipe, but use the fake chicken instead.Who has the best Vegetarian Fried ';chicken'; recipe?
Vegan Fried Chicken





Ingredients (use vegan versions):





1/2 cup textured soy protein


1 tablespoon vegetarian chicken bouillon powder


1/2 cup vegan pancake mix, dry (approximately)


2/3 cup crushed cornflakes (approximately)


Salt, pepper, other seasonings


Oil for frying





Directions:





Put 1/2 c hot water in a bowl. Stir in bouillon powder. Soak textured soy protein in this liquid for 10 minutes. Mix in just enough pancake mix to make a cohesive mixture that can be formed into patties. Mix in salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste. Put crushed cornflakes in a plate. Dip patties into cornflakes, covering them completely. Heat some oil on medium heat in a heavy frying pan. Fry patties in oil until crispy, turning occasionally.





Serve with a creamy sauce, and mashed or oven-fried potatoes.








--------------------------------------鈥?br>

Excellent recipe! I used seasoned vegan breadcrumbs and instant mashed potatoes instead of the pancke mix which I thought tasted too pastey. Good on a sandwich bun with nayo, lettuce, and tomatoes.
I I remember right, seiten is made from gluten flour. Your husband may have Celiac disease if he is having a problem with it.





I've used TVP ( made from soy) before with good success. I have not tried this recipe but it looks tempting.
You might check Morning Star or Loma Linda products


I was a lacto vegetarian for many years and when I could


not cook from scratch I used these two products
if you're okay with eating chickens, then you're not a real vegetarian..might as well go to K.F.C. and pick up a bucket

No comments:

Post a Comment