Saturday, August 21, 2010

Does anybody know a recipe for Demos' famous baked chicken soup?

Good luck with that one. I have asked servers, emailed their website, and called managers BEGGING for even a hint at the spices they use. They are like a VAULT on that recipe. I used to eat there when I went to college in Nashville, and the soup was my main reason for going.





In the last 18 years since, the closest I have come to recreating it (and mind you, it's still not the same taste i remember....) is this....





Get a box of Uncle Ben's Long Grain Wild Rice Original recipe, a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, and 2 cans of swanson's roasted garlic chicken broth. Dump the broth and the rice and rice spice packet(from the box) in a large stock pot on medium heat. Add a can or 2 of water. Bring to a low boil.





Pull the chicken apart with forks and dump the pieces into the soup.





Add 2 TBS olive oil, 1/4 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley, and then the hard part... i have been playing around with different measurements of thyme, sage, rosemary, and oregano. Any combination tastes good, but ARGH! It's just not exactly the demos' version. Simmer for about 15 minutes. It keeps well, and tastes even better the next day warmed up, after the flavors have melded overnight.





The soup seems so simple, and yet I know there must be a missing secret ingredient.





If I still lived in the Nashville area, I'd be going there once a week with my now more sophisticated palate to try and discern what spice I am missing, but alas....





In any case, the above recipe is darn close and quick. If you figure out the secret spice, let me know! I have tasted the magic of the demos' chicken soup and fully understand your quest. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment